Melaka Temples – Famous temples in Melaka
Melaka Straits Mosque, Cheng Hoon Teng Temple and St. Paul’s Hill & Church are some of Melaka’s popular places of worship among tourists and locals. The different types of temples portray the true multi-ethnicity of Melaka city.
Let’s take a look at a few of the temples:
1. Malacca Straits Mosque – This beautiful mosque is built on a man-made island near Melaka and was inaugurated in the year 2006. It is a beautiful sight to see especially during high tides where the mosque appears be floating on the ocean. It is one of the most stunning Melaka Temples!
2. Cheng Hoon Teng Temple – Built in the year 1645, it is known to be oldest Chinese temple in the whole of Malaysia. Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is devoted to the goddess of mercy, called Guanyin. It is known for its intricate woodwork carvings. You can experience the calmness and peacefulness in this famous Buddhist Melaka temple. It is a grand sight if you visit during Chinese New Year.
3. St Paul’s Hill & Church – A pathway next to the Stadthuys and Christ Church leads to the top of the Bukit St.Paul hill from where you can see the ruins of the oldest building in Malaysia, the St.Paul’s Church. This was a historic church built in 1521, consisting of tombstones and a statue of St. Francis Xavier.
4. Christ Church – this stunning 18th century Anglican church is the oldest Protestant church in Malaysia and is constructed in Dutch Colonial style of architecture. It is in the centre of the Melaka city, on the famous Dutch (Red) Square. Every year, it attract many tourists to take nice pictures.
5. Mosque Kampung Kling, is known to be oldest mosques throughout Malaysia is famous for retaining its architectural design, ever since it was built in 1748. Its unique architectural design of the roof, stands out from other mosques. Instead of the typical round dome, the main building of Kampung Kling Masjid has a multi-tiered pyramid shaped roof.
6. Sri Poyyatha Vinayagar Moorthi Temple is frequented by the Hindu worshippers who visit the temple to pray. It is devoted to the Elephant God, Ganesha. This temple was built in 1781 and it is one of the earliest hindu temples of Malaysia. You will be stunned at the intricate, beautiful decorations of this Hindu temple.
These are just a few of the many Melaka temples that you should visit!
Here are some popular temples in Melaka
Melaka Straits Mosque
St. Paul’s Hill & Church
Cheng Hoon Teng Temple
Other things to do in Melaka