Jonker Street – Melaka’s Chinatown night market
A trip to Melaka is certainly not complete without a visit to Jonker Street. Jonker Street is a lane in Melaka’s Chinatown. It is a popular street to shop for souvenirs and try tasty, piping hot local food. This street is full of hustle-bustle on weekends, especially at the night market.
Here are some things to do at Jonker Street:
1. Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum – You can learn more about the Peranakan culture when you visit this museum. This museum has been retained since the 19th century. Everything here has been kept in its original form. You will see furnitures used by the Peranakans and their way of life. Guided tours are also available for you if you would like to have a more detailed understanding about the Baby Nyonya culture.
2. Temples – Jonker Street has many temples around the area.
- Cheng Hoon Teng Temple-The oldest Chinese temple in Malaysia, devoted to the goddess of mercy called Guanyin. This temple is known for its woodwork carvings.
- Kampung Kling Mosque-One of the oldest mosques in Malaysia which has retained its architectural design ever since when it was built in 1748.
- Sri Poyyatha Vinayagar Moorthi Temple-This temple is frequented by Hindu worshippers in Melaka, devoted to the Elephant God, Ganesha. Built in 1781, it is one of the earliest Hindu temples in Malaysia.
3. Mamee Jonker House – Re-live your childhood memories with this famous brand for your childhood snacks. There are workshops held on the weekends, teaching you how to make your own Mamee snack! You can also buy Mamee tshirts and toys here. There is also a Mamee café and gallery for you to visit and enjoy in-house treats.
4. Jonket Street Night Market – This is probably the main reason why people swarm over to Jonker Street. Jonker Street night market is opened on Fridays and Saturdays, from 6pm till midnight. You can expect a huge crowd as the streets turn into lively lanes with rows of hawkers selling mementos and local food specialties. You can enjoy Chinese treats like dim sums, chicken rice balls and springrolls, which are a must to try!
You can’t leave Melaka without going to the Jonker street, Melaka’s Chinatown night market!
Other popular attractions in Melaka
Queen Victoria’s Fountain
Melaka River Walk
Red Square Melaka
Menara Taming Sari
Melaka River Cruise
Tan Kim Hock
Other things to do in Melaka